Universal Print, which went GA at Ignite 2021, is a modern print solution to that can be used to manage print infrastructure from Microsoft. Since Universal Print is hosted on Microsoft Azure, you do not need an on-premises infrastructure.
Here is the Architecture.
Here are the Prerequisites for Universal Print:
- A Universal Print-eligible license is assigned to the M365 tenant by a Global Administrator.
- To configure and manage Universal Print, the corresponding administrator must have a Universal Print-eligible license assigned.
- To configure and manage Universal Print, an administrator must be assigned either of the following two Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) roles: Printer Administrator or Global Administrator.
- A client device (to install and print from Universal Print) running Windows client OS, version 1903 or beyond.
- An Internet connection.
Universal Print is included with the following subscriptions:
- Microsoft 365 Enterprise F3, E3, E5
- Microsoft 365 Education A3, A5
- Windows 10 Enterprise E3, E5
- Windows 10 Education A3, A5
- Microsoft 365 Business Premium
Since I assigned the Microsoft 365 E5 license, the error is gone.
Now lets setup the Universal Print connector. Download the Universal Print connector installer and follow the next steps.
You have an option to share the printer with one user or anyone in the organization.
This covers the Universal Print connector setup.